The Royal Canadian Legion’s History

The Royal Canadian Legion has a long history of proudly supporting Veterans. When the First World War came to an end, numerous Veterans groups and regimental associations representing former service members were created. Despite their shared goals, efforts were fragmented and unsuccessful.

An appeal for unity led to the formation of the Dominion Veterans Alliance and, in Winnipeg in 1925, the Legion was founded as “The Canadian Legion of the British Empire Service League.” It was incorporated by a special Act of Parliament and the Charter was issued in July 1926. On December 19, 1960, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II gave her consent to use the prefix 'Royal', and the organization became known as 'The Royal Canadian Legion." The Act of Incorporation was later amended in 1961 to make the change official.

The Legion’s initial main objective was to provide a strong voice for First World War Veterans. However, the advent of the Second World War created a host of new demands. The Legion expanded to offer more dedicated support to Veterans, as well as those serving abroad.

Today, the Legion continues to improve the lives of Veterans, including serving Canadian Armed Forces and RCMP, and their families. This has been our principal objective since our inception and we will continue to work for it today and every day forward.

Branch 94’s History

In presenting a short history of Branch #94, one must keep within the confines of the general growth of the branch within the community and overlook the tireless efforts of many individual members.

The town of Greenfield Park received its charter in 1911. Three years later World War I was declared. Between 1914 and 1918, forty percent of the town's population left to fight for a free world. During the following twenty-one years of peace, the Ex- Servicemen’s Club of Greenfield Park was formed and became active in the field of veterans' welfare.

Then came World War II and again Greenfield Park answered the call. In the archives of the town are testimonials signed by war time Prime Minister, the late Honourable W.L. MacKenzie and his Defence Minister, the late Honourable J.L. Ralston stating that Greenfield Park, on a per capita basis, gave the greatest number of men and women to our country's forces than any other community in Canada.

This was a fitting background for a branch in our municipality. In October 1943, the Secretary of the town, Ernie Nightingale, received a letter from our late Comrade, Dave Taggart, who at the time was Chairman, Branch Relations Committee, Montreal District, requesting a meeting with the town officials for the purpose of organizing a local branch of the Legion. After several meetings with Pro Mayor, Bill Nelan, it happened; on November 26, 1943 the Greenfield Park branch was born.

Important Dates in Branch History

Date Description
Nov. 26, 1943 Birth of Branch 94
Sept. 3, 1945 Branch colors were consecrated

The first sod was turned at the present site of branch 94 by late Comrade, then President, Harry Wells.


Due to increasing membership, the first sod was turned for the extension to the existing building by Lt. Col. Pierre Sevigny, M.P. for Longueuil and Deputy Minister of Defence.

Mar. 26, 1961

Memorial Plaque, in memory of our fallen comrades was unveiled in the Greenfield Park Community Hall by Silver Cross Mother, Mrs. T.D. Anyon.

Oct. 8, 1961

Our old colors were retired and new colors consecrated in a service at St. Paul's Church.

Sept. 11, 1965

Through a branch and town effort, the War Memorial in front of the town hall was unveiled by Silver Cross Mother, Mrs. F.C. Philp.

Sept. 13, 1967

A Past Presidents Plaque was unveiled and located in the lounge entrance.

1968 Renovation of our main building
Oct. 1995 Installation of the 50th Commemoration Plaque of Allied Invasion located on a large stone at the outdoor entrance to the lounge.
Oct. 2000

Our branch goes online with a web site.